Auckland +64 9 415 0755 | Wellington +64 4 568 6663 | Tauranga +64 7 547 4070 | Christchurch +64 3 349 4758

Australian Customs: Moving Personal Effects

clip-boardFree quote - Moving from New Zealand or Moving to New ZealandRequest a Quote

How do I take my personal belongings to Australia?

Personal and household effects may be imported into Australia free of Customs Duty and GST (Goods Services Tax), providing they have been owned and used for a period of at least twelve months prior to their departure for Australia and that the owner of the goods is eligible to live in Australia. If you do not have the correct authority to live in Australia, or you are arriving on a visitors permit, short term student visa or temporary work visa you may be required to pay Customs Duty and GST on your personal and household effects.

Moving Personal Effects to AustraliaIf duty is applicable the rate varies widely depending on the items being shipped and will be calculated on the individual values of the items concerned. Customs will usually request purchase receipts, invoices or similar documentation so they can verify the items values. You should always make sure that these documents are available so that there are no delays with the Customs process. It is recommended that you carry these documents in your hand luggage, do not have these packed in your shipment.

Transworld will supply you with a copy of the Australian Customs form titled "Unaccompanied Personal Effects Statement" (B534). It is on this form that you will declare and complete the customs requirements that may apply to your shipment bound for Australia.

You will also need to supply a copy of your photo page of your passport. If you are moving to Australia as a tourist, or take up temporary residence, you will be required to provide your length of stay in Australia.

Visas are not required by nationals of Australia or New Zealand who hold valid passports for these countries, but are required by citizens of all other countries. Applications should be made to the nearest Australian consulate.

You must declare any goods belonging to any person other than you, or those who accompany you, on your arrival in Australia. You must also declare any goods for commercial purposes, including goods for sale, lease, hire or exchange.

Australian customs will charge duty and tax on all alcohol shipped (the duty free allowance is only applicable when you take alcohol personally on the aeroplane /cruise liner).

The owner's goods may be cleared through customs in advance of their arrival provided the owner arrives in Australia within six months following the arrival of the shipment.

Legacies can be imported by Australian domiciled residents as long as it can be proved that it is a genuine bequest and that the recipient is a legal beneficiary. This can be done by supplying a statutory declaration and a copy of the will or a letter from the solicitor or trustee handling the estate. The legacy can not be used for trade or business purposes.

Contact us about taking your personal belongings to Australia.

clip-boardFree quote - Moving from New Zealand or Moving to New ZealandRequest a Quote


to Top